If you’re looking for the best protein bars for women and men, you’re in luck because you’ll know which one’s are the best on the market by continuing to read below.
Video Credit: Harry
Protein bars are exactly what you need if you train often, but don’t have enough time. Training demands a lot from the body, and a well-balanced meal is one of them.
One way to get the macro and micronutrients you need is by consuming protein bars. People without time to whip up a healthy meal can simply grab their favorite protein bar anytime.
There is a lot of protein bars available on the market. But, it’s important to pick the best ones that don’t have any harmful ingredients.
Here’s a list of the best protein bars for women and men. You’ll find important information about them to know which one fits your needs.
How to Choose the Best Protein Bar?
There are some factors to consider when choosing a protein bar. Here’s a quick guide on how to choose the best protein bar.
- Consider the protein source: Protein bars differ in ingredients. One of the first things to look at is the protein source. Try aiming for protein bars that have micellar casein, whey isolates, or hydrolyzed whey.
- Look at the protein content protein bar should have at least 15g of protein. Don’t get any bar that has less.
- Check the ratio of protein to carbs: A protein bar should have higher protein content than carbs.
- Go for less sugar: Don’t get protein bars that have refined sugars. High sugar intake increases your body fat. Protein bars with sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners will be under the section “Total Carbohydrates”. Always get a bar not exceeding 6g of net carbs for each serving.
- Avoid trans-fat: It’s okay to get protein bars with some saturated fat. This actually helps make digestion slower to release carbs into your bloodstream. But, avoid bars with trans fat.
- Get ones with fiber: A great protein bar to get should have at least 6g of fiber. It will help regulate your blood sugar. It’ll also make you feel full, so you won’t need to eat unnecessary and unhealthy foods.
The Advantages of Protein Bars
More men and women are reaping the benefits of consuming protein bars. Here are the notable advantages of adding protein bars to your everyday diet.
- Portability and convenience: A protein bar is small and convenient to carry anywhere you go. It can fit inside your bag and even in your pocket. It’s also a great substitute for some meals when you don’t have time to cook.
- Quick meal replacement and in-between snack: Many people use protein bars as a meal replacement. This helps them control and reduce calorie intake. Since many protein bars already have the nutrients you need, it’s an effective replacement for meals. Also, they’re better snacks in-between meals to prevent snacking on unhealthy desserts.
- Training support: When working out, it’s important to supply the body with enough nutrients. Consuming a protein bar before training gives you the energy you’ll need. Eating one after training can also help by replenishing the energy you lost.
- Broad flavor choices: Some protein bar makers create delicious flavors that’ll satisfy your sugar cravings. Protein bars are available in different kinds of flavors. There will always be something for every kind of palate. You won’t get tired of eating the same flavors because you have a lot of choices.
The Top 10 Protein Bars for Men and Women
The Vega Sport Protein Bar is 70g in total weight. 20g of that weight consists of brown rice and pea proteins. It’s available in two box sizes – 4s and 20s. It doesn’t contain any GMO, gluten, additives, and artificial sweeteners. This makes Vega Sport a healthy choice for vegans.
It has ingredients that can support recovery after a strenuous workout. It’s filling so you might lose the urge to eat more after having one bar. Both men and women could enjoy these protein bars after training.
Vega also has other products like protein powders and supplements. But, their protein bars can save you time by grabbing a bar or two on-the-go.
The Quest Nutrition Protein Bar has low sugar and high fiber content. It also has a decent amount of protein for its total weight. This may be the reason why it’s become one of the most popular protein bars nowadays.
It comes in 25 flavors so you have a lot to choose from. Since it’s low in sugar and calories, you can eat it before and/or after a workout. You can eat it to fuel your training or as a meal replacement.
But, it does have some issues with some people because of the ingredients. It has some artificial sweeteners like Stevia and Sucralose. Also, some ingredients aren’t vegan-friendly.
CLIF Builder’s Protein Bar’s protein comes from soy protein isolates. The opinion about this type of protein is divided.
Despite this, you’ll still get a fair amount of vitamins, minerals, and carbs to help you through tour training. The carbs and whole grains give you enough energy to sustain your workout. The ingredients also make it an ideal supplement for weight gain.
It’s best taken before or during workouts. Avoid taking it after because you won’t be able to burn its high contents of sugar, sodium, and calories. You may want to skip CLIF Builder’s if you want to lose weight.
#4. Rise Protein Bar
Rise Protein Bar comes from a small business with a gluten-intolerant owner. His goal to find gluten-free protein bars led to the creation of Rising. Since then, he has made artisan protein bars in small batches.
This minimalist protein bar only has very few organic ingredients. There are Rise protein bars with whey protein isolates. But, they have options for vegans, which contain pea proteins.
Besides the protein bases, some of the protein bar flavors contain nuts like almonds and cashews. These nuts are also great sources of protein. The main sweetener used for the vegan protein bars is coconut nectar, which is natural and lightly processed.
From the name of this protein bar, you’d already get an idea about its protein source. The Exo Cricket Protein Bar’s protein content comes from cricket powder. Each bar has 10g of cricket powder which makes up 20% of its total weight.
Certain insects contain protein and other vitamins and nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 plays a big role in preventing heart diseases and lowering blood pressure.
It’s available in 4 flavors, which don’t taste like crickets at all. This protein bar may contain non-vegan ingredients, but it’s paleo-friendly. Before trying this out, make sure that you don’t have any allergies to cricket-based products.
FAQ’s About Protein Bars
1. What will happen if I eat too many protein bars?
A high-protein diet can help build muscles when combined with training. It can also promote weight loss because proteins can make you feel full and less hungry. But, when you don’t use the excess protein in your body, it will become body fat.
Consuming too many protein bars may not only give you excess proteins. You’ll also be getting too much sugar, fats, and fiber, among other things. Keep in mind that anything that has too many of these has negative effects.
2. Can I eat protein bars even if I don’t work out?
Yes, you can. Protein bars are not only for people who work out. All people need protein in their bodies. If you don’t get enough protein through your usual diet every day, you can get them through protein bars.
But, be mindful of the other components of the protein bars you want to eat. You’d also need to take your everyday diet into account. If you have a high-sugar or high-calorie diet, you’d want to check the labels to avoid these from protein bars.
3. When is the best time to consume protein bars?
The most recommended time to eat protein bars is before and after your training session. Before working out, you’ll need energy. After exercising, you’d need to replenish the lost nutrients in your body.
If you don’t work out, you can also consume protein bars before or after strenuous activity.
4. Can I give my kids protein bars?
Yes, you can. Children also need some amount of protein in their diets. But, take note of the sugar content of protein bars you give them. Too much sugar can have negative effects on their health.
Remember that extra protein isn’t necessary for children. Thus, don’t give them protein bars often.
How to select the perfect protein bar to eat
Video Credit: Business Insider
From the top 5 best protein bars on this list, the clear winner is Quest Nutrition Protein Bar. Compared to other protein bars on the list, Quest Nutrition Protein Bar has the best nutritional value. It has high protein and fiber contents which are what you should be looking for in a protein bar.
Also, its sugar, fat, and calorie contents are lower compared to all the other protein bars on the list. The ingredients that Quest Nutrition has may not be as natural as Rise’s. But, it’s still has a lower sugar content than the rising Protein Bar.
Unlike Vega Sport Protein Bar with only 2 flavors, you won’t get as many choices as Quest Nutrition Protein Bar. With 25 flavors to choose from, you’d be able to find something that you’ll like.
That concludes the roundup for the best protein bars for women and men on the market that you should check out and try for yourself to see which one fits your lifestyle best.
If you’re looking for the perfect Multivitamins for you, check out our list of the https://www.solidlandingsbehavioralhealth.com/best-multivitamins-for-women/
- Best Multivitamin For Women Over 40
- Best Vitamins For Women Over 50
- Best Protein Bars For Women
- Best Diets For Men
- Best Health Nutritionals
- Best Chocolate Bars
- Best Casein Protein
- Best Recovery Supplement
- Best Protein Powder For Weight Loss
- Best Probiotic For Men
- Best Men’s Daily Vitamin
- Best Iron Vitamins