It is frustrating to wake up in the midst of night feeling hot. There are limited ways of getting a cooler sleep at night as our body may interrupt the cooling process. Nevertheless, there are certain products that can help you stay cool and comfortable as you sleep. You can check out the benefits of the best cooling pillows.
Here is a quick preview of our top 10:
#1. Bamboo Ultra-Luxury Cooling Pillow from Snuggle-Pedic
#2. Memory Foam Cooling Pillow from Perfect Cloud
#3. Luxury Cooling Pillow from Langria
#4. Bamboo Cooling Pillows from Original Bamboo
#5. Memory Foam Cooling Pillow with Aloe Vera from Meeracula
#6. Premium Cooling Pillows from WonderSleep
#7. Performance Extreme Pillow from BioPedic
#8. Gel-Infused Slim Memory Foam Cooling Pillow from Bluewave Bedding
#9. Classic Memory Foam Cooling Pillow from Live and Sleep
#10. Adjustable Cooling Pillow from Coop Home Goods
Video Credit: Harry
Cooling pillows help you get a cool night’s sleep as it regulates the body temperature. Our body naturally drops its temperature. This drops the blood pressure and increases blood circulation. Having the body heat retained may interrupt this sleeping process. With this, cooling pillows aid us in getting a cooler surface to sleep in.
Cooling Pillow Target Users
Cooling pillows are recommended for various types of users. Provided below are some of the users who can benefit from using a cooling pillow as they sleep.
- Sleepers with hot body temperature – People who stay hot as they sleep may get excellent benefits from cooling pillows. This specialized type of pillow affects the temperature in multiple ways. Moreover, consumers are recommended to test multiple types of cooling pillows with different features. With this, they can select the one which works the best for their need. Cooling pillows are a great help should you sleep hot. However, there are other variables that can affect your night’s sleep. These include your current mattress, sheets, room temperature, and clothing. With this, we recommend you change them that fit your desired sleeping elements.
- Sleepers lying on their side or back – People who typically sleep on their back need pillows as a source of loft to align their spine. These people need a flat but firm pillow to support the neck. This will eliminate the risk of having a strain on the back. On the other hand, side-sleepers feel comfortable when their pillows have an average loft and moderate firmness. A firmer pillow can also help for neck support and head alignment. Back and side sleepers can get the most out of common cooling pillows in today’s market. Most of the cooling pillows meet the above criteria. This provides the user with excellent sleep throughout the night.
- Light sleepers – There are people who sleep lightly and can easily be awakened with noise. Some cooling pillows sold in the market are made from latex and memory foam. The above type of materials is silent even when compressed. People who cannot sleep on a scratchy pillow can find comfort on cooling pillows.
These are just some of the users to whom the cooling pillows are recommended. However, consumers should note that there are some features that can be preferable to some sleepers.
These types include sleepers lying on the stomach and sensitive to smell. These pillows tend to be heavy too which makes it not recommended for those who cannot lift heavy pillows.
A hot is can also lessen the cooling feeling of your pillows. We recommend having a source of air circulation that can help dissipate the heat away from the body. This will allow you to get good sleep easier and faster.
Best Cooling Pillows in 2019
Cooling pillows are an excellent addition to your sleeping routine. It makes you feel cool and comfortable as you rest throughout the night. Here are some of our top picks that you can look into.
This product from Snuggle-Pedic completes the line of health products released by the company since 2001. The pillow has two zipper bags filled with memory foam. It is US-certified offering quality and straying away from pollutants.
- Comes in queen size which is perfect for any head size
- Maximum loft which is adjustable by utilizing a custom-fit foam
- Conforms to user’s head and neck for support
- Has a dust and mite resistant pillow construction
- Shipped in a vacuum-sealed and rolled packaging
- May not last for a long usage period
- Can be stiff on some users who are used to ultra-soft pillows
The high-quality design and construction assure users that the pillow will never go flat. With its full foam pieces, the pillow provides you breathability as you sleep throughout the night. The ultra-luxury cooling pillow is recommended for all sleeper types. Should you prefer the back, side, or stomach, you cannot go wrong with this pillow.
Perfect Cloud has been around for more than 10 years. The company aims to provide improvement in sleep through the use of their pillows and mattresses.
Their memory-foam cooling pillow is designed with memory foam placed inside a quilted layer. The quilted layer is filled with gel which remains cool throughout the night. Equipped with a stretchable knit cover, this fabric can easily be cleaned and removed.
- Has a long-lasting pillowcase that provides plushness and excellent quality
- Provides support on your spine and head as it contours your body
- Utilizes a bio-green foam which does not give out pollutants
- Offers two options – cooling gel on one side and memory foam on the other
- Comes with 10 years of warranty
- Can feel too soft on some users who prefer harder pillows
- Goes flat after multiple uses
The pillow comes with a snug and soft pillowcase. Aside from this, you are also provided a robust zipper that can withstand multiple opening and closure. You will surely feel rejuvenated as you wake up from a night’s rest with the memory foam cooling pillow from Perfect Cloud.
This product from Langria has a viscoelastic adjustable pillow. The company aims to provide its consumers to get the most value out of their money. They offer products that are affordable but have trendy and chic designs.
The cooling pillow is filled with viscoelastic material or memory foam. Covering the foam is a pillowcase made from polyester and viscose that is bamboo-derived. The fabric offers excellent breathability, ensuring you with a sweat-free all night’s sleep.
- Comes with an anti-bacterial, odor-free and hypoallergenic pillow cover
- Does not emit harmful pollutants on your area
- Maintains excellent comfort and breathability
- Molds the contours of your head and neck for support
- Made from quality materials
- Retains its shape even after multiple uses
- Tends to get unstable as the cushion moves around
- Too fluffy for some users
In general, these pillows are excellent for people who want versatility. The loft can easily be adjusted according to your preference. You no longer need to suffer on a one-size-fits-all type of pillow. Moreover, it is vacuum-sealed which eliminates contamination from mildew and other contaminants.
These pillows from Original Bamboo utilize high-quality cushions and memory foam that help you get better sleep. You can get good posture as the pillows support your back, neck, and shoulder support.
Manufactured with the help of sleep experts, Original Bamboo pillows are engineered using shredded pieces of memory foam. It provides softness without losing its ability to conform and support. You can easily adjust the loft and fluffiness depending on your preference.
- Cushions and conforms to your neck, head and back contours
- Comes with a hypoallergenic pillowcase made from bamboo fivers
- Designed to reduce back and neck pains
- Resists the chances of bacteria, dust mites, and mold build-up
- Has an adaptable yet super soft memory foam
- The foam tends to get lumpy and broken
- Difficult to smooth out
These pillows come in a hygienic and vacuum compressed packaging when shipped at your doorstep. You are sure to get odor-free and clean pillows upon their arrival.
After getting the pillows, you can expect it to fluff up in shape within 24 to 48 hours. However, you easily accelerate this process by placing it in the dryer for at least 20 minutes.
Coming from a proprietary design, this cooling pillow from Meeracula is known as a crowd favorite. It exhibits longevity, resilience, and excellent density.
This pillow offers good pressure and support on your vertebrae. With this, your back and neck pains are relieved allowing you to relax well. It is made from high quality but eco-friendly material. You are guaranteed with both quality and performance.
- Offers pin relief through customizable firmness and loft
- Has appropriate and irregularly sized foams for sustained support
- Features an Aloe Vera Infusion for a soothing effect on the skin
- Made from high-quality materials instead of leftover scrapped materials
- Can easily be washed on a machine
- Gets worn out on a few uses
- The shredded foam tends to get stuck together
Meeracula pillows are made with soft yet resilient foam infused with Aloe Vera. This provides a soothing effect on your skin. It is also resistant to mites and hypoallergenic. It is truly a great product to consider for your next cooling pillow purchase.
WonderSleep utilizes precisely cut foam pieces that are not made from recycled pieces. With this, you are guaranteed with no bumps. The foam molds your body leaving you with a comfortable feeling.
- Features shredded foam which provides relief for all users
- Utilizes a breathable fabric which stays cool throughout the night
- East to customize by removing or filling the pillow with foam
- Comes with one year of warranty
- Offers excellent molding of your body for comfort
- Fabric is sensitive to bleach
- Presents a bad odor
You can easily adjust the pillow’s loft by removing or filling the zipper cover. The pillow cover is made from polyester and viscose. Its fabric is derived from bamboo which makes it breathable and cooling.
Offering great support for your neck and head, this pillow helps your body alignment. With this, you can prevent potential orthopedic problems and improve your sleeping posture.
The company BioPedic has been selling a variety of sleeping and travel products for quite some time. They aim to help you have a refreshing and easy sleep.
This pillow from BioPedic is made from sustainable materials. There are no components used that are considered ozone depleters and flame retardants. Moreover, no heavy materials such as mercury and lead are used in manufacturing these pillows.
- Utilizes memory foam that is pressure-relieving and cooling
- Conforms to the shape of your body for excellent comfort
- Features a pillow fabric that eliminates moisture and heat
- Aids in aligning your neck, shoulders, and neck
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- Has a regular look and feel with other common pillows
To remove unwanted dust and odor, you can easily clean it with a microfiber cloth. You may also fully wash it using your good-old washing machine.
The pillow is oversized making it comfortable on however way you use it. It conforms to your body allowing excellent alignment on your shoulders, head, and neck. You will surely get the most out of your money.
Coming from the makers of premium foam cooling pillows, BlueWave offers one designed for back and stomach sleepers. These types of sleepers need a flat and thin pillow. Pillows that are thick and fluffy may provide you backaches and shoulder pains.
BlueWave cooling pillows utilize a foam that retains heat. With this, they added gel particles that regulate the temperature of the foam core. There are also ventilation holes that provide better air circulation.
- Alleviates head pain and snoring by positioning your head well when sleeping
- Relieves pressure on the neck, back, and shoulders
- Has an inner protective mesh outer cover
- Offers a loft of only four inches with great firmness
- Provides cooling feeling due to the breathability of its materials
- Might be too thick for some users
- Tends to offer uncomfortable use due to its loft
Equipped with an outer cover, it stays cool and eliminates odor. This is an excellent option for the back, stomach, or side sleepers.
Selling innovative technologies in the market, Live and Sleep aim to provide you proper rest and sleep every night. This pillow has a breathable fabric that is dust and mite resistant. It is also hypoallergenic which makes it preferable for people who have sensitive skin.
This pillow utilizes a deluxe cushion that is filled with thick loft for better flow. It provides the same look and feels with those expensive pillows on hotels and resorts.
- Provides excellent body contouring for comfort
- Offers ergonomic support for your head and neck
- Features adjustable use of a cooling pillow
- Utilizes a breathable fabric to allow good airflow
- Expands back to the original shape even after every use
- Inconsistent firmness
- Outer covering cannot be removed for washing
Having minimal contours as well as rounded sides, it is dirt and dust resistant. Moreover, it is hypoallergenic without any heavy metals such as mercury and lead. This product from BlueWave offers great value with its price.
This cooling pillow from Coop Home Goods is great for indoors due to the air quality it provides. It is also hypoallergenic n retains its properties even after multiple washes.
- Features a gel-infused and cooling memory foam with a gusseted design for support
- Has cross-cut foam pieces and poly fibers that prevent compactness
- Easy to adjust according to your loft preference
- Provides excellent softness
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- Has a slight chemical smell which can bother some users
- The cooling effect wears off over time
You may increase or decrease the amount of stuffing inside through the side zipper. This will allow you to customize your pillow to have the right firmness and loft you need. We recommend you check this product out for shoulder and neck relief.
What to Look for in a Cooling Pillow
When selecting the best cooling pillow you need to take into consideration the quality of its components. These include the liner and its choice of filler.
The common fillers most manufacturers utilize for cooling pillows are shredded filling, memory foam, graphite, and gel. On the other hand, liners are usually made of polyester, cotton, and bamboo fibers.
We recommend getting cooling pillows that have antibacterial and hypoallergenic properties. Nevertheless, you should consider getting easy to wash pillows to prolong its life.
Lastly, you should also take note of the pillow’s firmness, thickness, and density. These components affect the quality of sleep you get.
Gel / Memory Foam vs Latex – Technogel vs Latex International
Video Credit: andrewesquivel
Firm pillows are recommended for side sleepers. On the other hand, soft and thin pillows work well on stomach sleepers. Pillows that fall in between – medium firmness – are excellent for sleepers that lay on their back.
As a starter pillow, you can utilize the Eden Pillow from Coop Home Goods which offer several features useful for all sleeper types. Nevertheless, you can opt for the Snuggle-Pedic pillow should you need strong support. For an added feature, you may check Meeracula’s Aloe Vera infused pillows that provide an extra cooling feeling.
Overall, the pillows we recommended above offer features that help you get a good night’s sleep. You just need to prioritize the features you want to get from your cooling pillow.
- Top 10 Best Chocolate Bars Reviews in 2020
- Best Casein Protein Tips You Will Read This Year
- The Pros of Good Quality Sleep
- Metabo 379 Review: How Effective Are Metabolism Booster Supplements?
- Best Straight Razor Blades
- 10 Best Laxatives for Weight Loss in 2020
- Contoured Pillows. (2015). Retrieved from the web on June 7th, 2017.
- Kloc, Joe. Putting Insomnia on Ice. (2011, November 1). Retrieved from the web on June 7th, 2017.
- Mizuno K. Effects of Head Cooling on Human Sleep Stages and Body Temperature. (2003, May 16). Retrieved from the web on June 7th, 2017.
- Phase-Change Materials. (2016, Feb 11). Retrieved from the web on June 7th, 2017.